We’re pleased to offer nine (9) nights and ten (10) days to Discover the Sacred Beauty of Venice & Padua, Italy—a country synonymous with beauty and life.
Day One, Thursday, September 27th
- Depart USA
Day Two, Friday, September 28th
- Arrive at Venice Marco Polo Airport, Italy, met by guides and transfer via coach to Padua
- Settle into the Casa del Pellegrino, our ancient baroque hotel
- Welcome Lunch and then a Private tour of the Basilica of St. Anthony of Padua
- Late afternoon rest, Dinner and Evening Prayer
Day Three, Saturday, September 29th
- Morning Eucharist, Welcome to Pilgrimage, Orientation and First Session
- Guided Walk to the Oratory of St. George and Scuola del Santo (14th Century) to view the great frescos that honor the miracles of St. Anthony
- Walk across the Prato to visit the Benedictine Basilica of Santa Guistina, which contains the relics of St. Luke, the Apostle
- After lunch and free time, we visit the Palazzo della Ragione, built by the Commune, for the seat of government and law courts. The glorious floor of frescos by Giotto is located here. Just below is the oldest commercial center of Europe, and then on to the Cathedral Baptistery
- Rest at Casa Pellegrino, followed by Afternoon Session, dinner and open evening
Day Four, Sunday, September 30th
- Free Morning for Worship and quiet time, then return to the Basilica of St. Anthony and the Antonian Museum / the Botanical Gardens, the oldest in Europe
- Afternoon visit to the Church of the Eremitani with stunning art honoring the
Assumption and the Stories of St. James and St. Christopher
- Visit to the Scrovegni Chapel, site of Giotto’s famous last work
- Afternoon free time to stroll the city, or visit the Eremitani Museum; Dinner
Day Five, Monday, October 1st
- Morning Excursion to visit the Sanctuary of the Walnut Tree at Camposampiero
- Return to Padua via the Shrine of Anthony at Arcella, where the beloved Saint died
- Free time to enjoy Padua, including Sanctuary of Saint Leopoldo Mandic or the church of St. Croce
- Afternoon Session, and Dinner
Day Six, Tuesday, October 2nd
- Depart Padua for Venice, taking a boat cruise around the inner Venetian islands, including the Armenian Island of San Lazzare.
- Arrive at Zattere, Venice, settle into our stay at Centro Culturale Don Orione Artigianelli, and a light cafe lunch.
- Our first guided walk crosses over the Academia Bridge and on to St. Mark’s Square, one of the most beautiful public spaces in the world.
- We enter the Doge’s Palace for a guided tour of this gilded hall.
- Via water taxi, we cruise down the Grand Canal, one of the most beautiful waterways in the world, as we watch the sun light the walls of historic buildings, bridges and palazzos along this “main street” of Venice.
- We complete the afternoon with a guided tour via water taxi of the Grand Canal, as the sun lights the walls of the historic buildings, bridges and palazzos along the water route.
- Evening worship service in the Santa Maria della Visitazione, part of the Centro Don Orione, our residence.
- Dinner and quiet time for strolling
Day Seven, Wednesday, October 3rd
- Full-day excursion by private vaporetto from Zattere to the northern islands. We visit the sanctuary island of St. Francis del Deserto, where St. Francis sought refuge after the return from his famous peace mission to Egypt.
- We continue to Burano, famous for lace and colorful painted houses and a stroll across the connecting bridge to Mazzorbo, the island of orchards and gardens, lunch.
- Afternoon return to Venice. We enjoy a free evening with optional choices of cultural Venice, such as a music concert or perhaps the La Fenice Opera, one the most beautiful operas houses in the world.
Day Eight, Thursday, October 4th
- Morning guided tour of the magnificent Benedictine Monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore; including an opportunity to ascend the Bell Tower for the extraordinary views of Venice and the Lagoon.
- We enjoy open time in Venice and later in the afternoon meet for a guided tour of the Jewish Ghetto, where the Jewish community of Venice was forced to live for more than three hundred years, creating an amazing religious district. We will visit the German, Spanish and Levantine synagogues.
- A special meeting with Venetian artists who create the masks and costumes for the pre-Lenten festival of Carnavale. Dinner.
Day Nine, Friday, October 5th
- Morning Session at Don Orione, including prayer, followed by a late morning private tour of St. Mark’s Basilica, an extraordinary architectural feat that houses the relics of St. Mark, the Apostle.
- Afternoon visit to the Accademia, which houses the largest collection of Venetian art, including an introductory tour and time to explore preferred parts of the collection.
- Rest and free time OR enjoy a private, intimate dinner at Osteria Olivia Nera, minutes from the Danali Hotel and the Bridge of Sighs (optional).
Day Ten, Saturday, October 6th
- Morning excursion to the island of Torcello to visit the 11th Century Cathedral, filled with extraordinary mosaics set against gold.
- In the afternoon, we visit one additional island (a surprise).
- We return to Venice for rest, our final session, and Farewell Dinner.
Day Eleven, Sunday, October 7th
- We gather for Morning Worship and Prayers of Gratitude.
Transfers to Marco Polo Airport.
- Afternoon Departure for USA
Note: This itinerary, venues and the sequence of venues and events, may change to accommodate weather, traffic, or group needs, as determined by the leaders. A final itinerary will be provided upon arrival.